Thursday, March 13, 2008

Capones-Anawangin 2008




































Three weeks have already passed but I still haven't written about my Capones-Anawangin trip with friends Donald, Ed and Bebang, and newly-met Roland and Katherina (Kate Kulet). Yes, Zambales again.

Travel

My friends were coming from Manila and I had to give them a lengthy guide to driving to Zambales. Their call time was 3:00 AM on Feb. 24 in Munoz, but for some reason, they left the metro at 4:00 AM. I just couldn't remember how long their ride was. I think they've arrived in Castillejos at 7:00 AM. Uh, it was too early for me that I couldn't recall.

Boat ride

Again, we took the boat services of Mang Florante, who could be found at the cottage right after Megan’s Resort. The side trip to Capones Island raised the boat prices dramatically – 50% increase per boat times two.

Capones Island

Capones Island is famous for its lighthouse. Therefore, that’s where we wanted to go. However, the shore was rocky and the waves high when we got to the drop off point that leads directly to the old lighthouse.

The real adventurers trekked to find a path to the lighthouse, while JD, Bebang and I stayed at our “camp” site to eat, sleep and lie around. I would have wanted to join them walk around the island but I was hungry. Oh, eating is still an adventure, anyway. I love food. Yummy.

Donald, Roland and Katherina came back from their trek with beautiful pictures but without Ed. We waited for another hour for Ed to come back, with side jokes about pooling a rescue fund (courtesy of Donald) and some questions to strangers about spotting a “kalbo” in their trek.

It was already lunch time and the sun was scorching hot. Really hot. Undeniably hot. So hot.

Donald proceeded to look for Ed. Bebang, JD and I tagged along. We split however, so JD and I got to see the beach at the other side of the island.

Katherina and Roland were already done cooking the spicy beef with asparagus and mushroom but Ed was still nowhere to be found. I was already hungry and suffering from headache from the cruel heat of the sun. I found sanctuary beside the rock with a little shade at the shore, with a cool breeze and the refreshing water soothing me.

Then there was Ed. He was able to reach the lighthouse.

We finally had lunch in that cool spot I found. Then the boat arrived late. I definitely would not recommend staying in Capones Island for a long period of time. It was definitely hot. But you can find the rocks in the shore so cool and cold.

I just have been informed, however, that the sea of Capones is shark infested. I don’t know. This weekend was the first time I heard about it.

Anawangin

The first thing that caught my attention was the flags in the shore of Anawangin. What crazy mind would put colored flags in the beach of Anawangin? Duh.

Apparently, there’s land dispute over that piece of land. As told by the caretakers in the part of the beach without the flags, the other side (the flag-infested part) was being squatted. The sad thing for campers and nature-trippers, there is now a required “fee” of P150.00 for the area with flags, and P50.00 for the area without flags. Both sides have kawayan tables and bench for the "convenience of campers".

It really was great that we brought four hammocks as Anawangin has been an excellent place to relax, unwind and sleep. Aside from the clean water, the beautiful scenery, the batis somewhere farther, a pond-like water formation (click here for pictures from Katherina and Roland).

The late February breeze was quite surprisingly not cold. I slept half of the night outside the tent (with Donald and Ed's company - I couldn't do that alone), but woke up from the lack of cool breeze. The caretakers had a single dog, but there were scary barking from (wild) dogs from afar. I'm so scared of dogs that I seek security inside the tent. Fortunately, nature's aircon resumed operation when I slept inside the tent.

The next morning, I tried to swim toward the vastness of the sea with snorkeling gear courtesy of Roland and Katherina. It was lonely, however. There was... sand... and a single fish.

Joy Ride to Pundaquit

The boat ride to Pundaquit was like a ride in Enchanted Kingdom! Adventure.

Back to Manila

We had a side trip to SBMA, and did some shopping in Royal. Non-stop eating. They might have spent more in Subic from all those chocolates and chips than the expenses for the Anawangin trip. Hehe.

Nice trip ;)

Photo links:
Ed Lucio
Katherina 1
Katherina 2
Kate Farrales



Videos:

Waves in Capones. Shot from our tambay site a few meters away from the shore.



Waves in Capones 2. At the other side of the island.



Anawangin Sunset. Taken while the sun was setting.




0 comments: