Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Holy Week 2008

When a friend asked me how my Holy Week was, I said it may be off to say, but it was happy.

I have often heard that Holy Week is the time of the year when our town is full of life, probably even surpassing the festivities during our town fiesta. There are lots of people walking down the busy street under the scorching heat of the sun, motorists causing traffic jam in both highway and small streets, and the "tourist attraction."

Holy Week is one long vacation that I would want to be just home. It's a family moment and also a reunion with friends. It's one of the few (or two?) times of the year when one would expect people to come home.

Home... I love home.

Holy Thursday
I did not really go out of the house on Thursday due to the extreme heat. Besides, very few people went out of their way to get a glimpse of the happenings in town on that day. In the afternoon, I had a joyride with the kids around town. Here's one shot that I liked.


Balaybay. The Bundok ng Kalbaryo where people get themselves nailed on the cross. This year, though, I heard that nobody got himself or herself subjected to such an act. By the way, the full moon could have been seen here but the clouds hid its beauty.


Holy Friday
With Mon, his mom, and his nieces, we drove around the town to see what's up. In the afternoon, I simply stayed in my relatives' house across the street.


Pana.
He's the single person I saw this year who really endured the pain of walking with arrows all over his body.


Penitensya.
Flagellants praying in a kubol.


Fresh Wounds.
The wounds of my cousin (yes, I have relatives who do these things).


Flagellant on the Side.
Uncle Cyril sitting by the bench at the gate.


Carrying of the Cross



Burdened.
A man finding it difficult to walk on the hot sidewalk. The cross he was carrying has already been brought to the next kubol.


Pagbubuhat



Carrying of the Cross, Faces Covered



Burdened in Costume.
A man in costume portraying the suffering of Christ by carrying the cross this Holy Week.


Cenaculo
. The Catholic Church frowns upon the "imitation" of the suffering of Christ during Holy Week. If people would listen to the Church, this Cenaculo would be the only thing spectators would see aside from the other religious celebrations being observed.


Cenaculo: The Carrying of the Cross



Cenaculo: Tres Marias



Family
My Holy Week wouldn't be complete without seeing at least some of my relatives. Here are snapshots of the people I love.











This last shot was taken by Lara. Budding photographer :)

0 comments: